Friday, November 13, 2009

Final Reflections on ES2007S

The end of the semester is here, and I must say that this module had really taught me a lot. Although I am a science student, throughout the past years as an undergraduate I had enjoyed taking non-science modules. I particularly enjoyed taking this module, although I have to admit the workload is rather time-consuming. Then again, the assignments are all with purpose.

When I first saw this module promoted through the mass email, I thought that this was a rather curious module. It is essentially a module teaching a subject which does not exactly have a defined structure in the education system, yet it wasn’t exactly about teaching the English language.

A pleasant surprise was what I got when I attended the class. Confined to a small room, the seminar-style teaching was really welcomed. It really promoted interaction among those in the class, instead of just the one-way information flow in most lectures.

The introduction of the 7Cs was really good and I can see that it was frequently referred to throughout the module. It provided a great guide for crafting official emails, since I had the tendency to be long winded. I was rather clueless when it comes to writing resumes and CVs, as I would usually just create a general resume and CV and insert all of the skills I had regardless of relevance. How wrong I was when this module showed me that Conciseness is important.

I find the blogging part was really unique as a form of reflection after every lesson. It further reinforces what had been learnt. Furthermore, the proposal assignment was an eye-opening experience as this was my first time handling such a thing.

The most interesting part that I find about this module was the lessons about non-verbal language and the showing of the videos on presentation tips. These really affected the way I approached presentations, and in a good way I must say.

At the end of the day, the module wouldn’t have been such an enjoyable and enriching experience without the enthusiasm of the classmates (imagine how dreary the class would be when no one wants to make constructive comments as often happened in other seminar-style teachings such as tutorials), and the patience that Mrs. Richardson displayed while guiding us throughout the semester. This module have really made me grow more as a person.

2 comments:

  1. Dear nwchii,

    I do agree with you that this module is not very defined in the standard way. Precisely of that, tutors are able to apply creative skills of imparting knowledge to students.

    Also, I strongly agree with you when both students have to interact with each other in this module to make it a successful one. In contrast to other seminar modules I have taken, I feel that in this module, all of us have actively participated in class. At least, everyone of us did express his or her views before.

    In addition, a blog not only reinforces what we learnt but also we are able to see what others have learnt and accumulate more knowledge.

    Hope that you go to my blog and offer some insightful comments since it is my last post too.

    Regards,
    Clover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wai Chii,

    Same as me and other classmates, it's good that you have enjoyed this module. Indeed I enjoyed learning with you as a partner because you wont "open your mouth" unless you have ideas or something important to say. You will ponder before you talk, which I think is good.

    Besides that, I also agree with you that resume writing is very useful because Mrs Richardson has not only taught us on resume writing but also provided us face-to-face resume critique.

    Thank you and wish you all the best for your UROP application!

    ReplyDelete